Sunday 28 October 2012

Malham

During my school holidays I went to Malham in North Yorkshire. We stayed in a very nice cottage called the Bull Barn in Kirkby Malham. My Mum was especially pleased not to be camping!

The first day I went climbing was on the Sunday - it was a really sunny and warm day and there were quite a few other climbers at Malham. I climbed Frankenstein 7a+, then Puddle Jumper 7a, and Chiselling the Dragon 7c (2nd go.) It was a fun day.
Alexander, my brother, redpointed Frankenstein 7a+, which is his hardest grade outdoors.

Chiseling the Dragon, 7c
On the Monday it rained a lot so many of the routes were wet. I did Raindogs 8a (although I think 7c+ compared with some climbs in Siurana, Spain.)

I shredded one finger and had to tape it up so I decided to rest on the Tuesday. My family visited  Ingleborough cave which was interesting but not as much fun as climbing!

Shredded Finger!


On Wednesday we returned to Malham Cove and I flashed Free and Even Easier 7a+ and worked on Connect Four 8a. It was a tricky sequence and awkward at the top. My brother repointed his second 7a+ of the trip with Free and Even Easier - well done Alexander!

On Thursday I returned to climb Connect Four. I got this on my 3rd attempt after falling at the chains twice. It was very wet on the Thursday so we went back to the cottage early.

Friday was a lovely day, dry, bright and sunshine. It was quite warm at the cove. I went up to the upper tier after putting up the draws for my brother on Seventh Aardvark. I climbed Herbie 7c+ (2nd go) and Obsession 7b+ (2nd go.) I really enjoyed  Herbie - it was an interesting route up a tufa and on small crimps and undercuts.

I really enjoyed climbing at Malham and will be back next year.


    

1 comment: