Sunday 7 April 2013

Malham, Easter 2013

Last week I enjoyed a climbing holiday in Yorkshire with my family. We were very lucky with the weather as it stayed dry although it was very cold, especially at Kilnsey! I also met up with friends, from Scotland, at Malham Cove which was very good fun.
Icicles at Malham Cove

The first day I climbed at Malham Cove and did Overnite Sensation, 8a+. This was a really cool route which has a hard bouldery section at the start and I really enjoyed climbing it.

The following day I worked the moves for Magnetic Fields, 8b. This is a very powerful route with a crux move at the second clip requiring a tricky foot sequence. After a day of Trad climbing, at Giggleswick, I came back to this route on the Wednesday and managed to send it! I was really happy as these are the hardest routes I have climbed outdoors. 
Moving into the crux section of Magnetic Fields

Magnetic Fields, 8b

Thursday was a rest day, although we visited some climbing friends in Harrogate and ended up at the Climbing Centre there. So much for a rest I jumped on the hard Leading Ladder routes and onsighted them!

On Friday I worked the moves for Predator, 8b, at Malham. It is a long, sustained route with hard moves the whole way and few resting points. It is a really cool route. We drove back to Edinburgh on Saturday morning, after I had given Predator an attempt. I got high on the route, but was too tired after a week of climbing, and fell at the crux section. Next time ......
on Predator, 8b

The Malham crew!


The moral of this story is... to have a rest day! Or live closer to Malham!

No comments:

Post a Comment